Tuesday 21 June 2011

Travel to a blue berry farm!



Hi everyone,


I want to share a special experience of visiting a blueberry farm located in Hamilton last summer.

Why did I decide to drive over two hours to visit a blueberry farm far away from Auckland?
One reason is that I was curious about how the blueberry bushes are grown. I wanted to take some photos and send to my parents, because I haven’t seen the blueberry bushes in China. The other reason is that I had a very good experience when I went to a strawberry farm during the Christmas holiday, so I thought I would have an exciting experience. Was it an exciting experience? I will tell you later.

The blueberry farm located at the 397 Jary Rd, off SH3 just south of Ohaupo is called “blueberry country”. It’s easy to find on the map, but not easy to get there. You’d better bring your GPS and control your driving speed, not only for the police but for your car’s windscreen. One part of the route is a gravel road which means there’s no tarmac. Unfortunately, my car’s windscreen was hitted by a small stone even I was only driving at 20 km/h that day.



Why do so many people like to visit the blueberry farm in the summer?  Some of them are just
curious about the blueberry bushes which are  not easy to be seen in their own county. They like to have the experience of picking by their own. Others think that they are cheaper and fresher than the blueberries sold in the supper-markets, they like to pick them in the farm.

For me, it is a good experience to visit there, but that may be the last time to go there. It was amazing to see the blueberry bushes, the rounded ripe and half ripe blueberries with purple and pink skin which are hidden in the green leaves. But they are quite harder to pick than strawberries. I spent over 2 hours and only picked a half ice-cream size box of blueberries and I felt very tired. And also there are more insects in the blueberry farm than strawberry farm, which make you feel terrible. So I know that why blueberries are so expensive in the food town. We paid for our blueberries at reception and enjoyed the fresh blueberry ice cream in there.

Anyway, there were a bit of disappointment, but we really got what we wanted. It was not bad, but a special experience I won’t forget.  

To be honest, I’m not strongly suggest you to visit blueberry farms. But if you do want to visit,
Here is some suggestions for you.

1 comment: